Sunday, January 15, 2006

What we're doing

Okay, here are some of the things we are doing right now. Currently our read aloud is James and the Giant Peach, and we love it so far. My daughter has really enjoyed read aloud time. I just started using History Odyssey Lesson Plans: Ancients (level 1) and I love them!! My daughter is very interested in history and I think these plans are going to work well for us. For science I use the Living Learning Books Curriculum and my daughter has had a good time with these also. I like them because they use lots of books and the lesson plans are flexible. For math, we use Singapore math and an Usborne Sticker Math book that my daugher LOVES! I also have the Rod and Staff "math" workbook that we use also, it is good for practicing writing numerals and quick lessons. Last year reading instruction proved to be too frustrating for my daughter, so this year we are taking phonics slowly. She is doing very well with beginning phonics now and we are just doing simple sight words and BOB books. I love to see her face light up when she reads something! We have daily activities that reinforce numeral and letter recognition, penmanship, etc. The lesson plans for history and science have things like arts and crafts and cooking built in and I like that very much. However, my kids do some sort of art/craft everyday on their own. We have TUBS of art stuff and they are free to paint, glue, cut, etc until they can't do it anymore!! My oldest has never been a fan of coloring books, she likes paper and pencil/pen/marker/crayon/paint. We have tons of her creations all around! She is a big fan of string...sometimes the house looks like it's filled with spider webs because she has tied EVERYTHING in sight together! Of course my 2 year old has to do everything her sister does, so...well, enough said!

No comments: