Monday, March 17, 2008

Harry Potter...the end of an era

Well, approximately 10 months later, we finished the series. We loved it. The whole family quickly became fans of Harry and his gaggle of loyalists. As I finished reading the last page of book 7, Alyssa looked at me and said, "can we read them again?" LOL

Our new read aloud book is the first in the Trixie Belden series, The Secret of the Mansion. This series was one of my absolute favorites as a child. Alyssa is loving the first one and I am excited at the opportunity to read all of them again!

It appears that mysteries are the new interest around here. Alyssa has been reading some books, that my cousin gave us, from the Clue Mysteries series. We are searching used book stores and antique markets for the rest...hard to find actually. I am also searching out the rest of the Trixie Belden books, I have found a few and had no idea how hard they would be to find. Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books fill the shelves but there's slim pickin's when it comes to Trixie. I think her fans must be pretty die hard collectors. There are so many great books to read, I am just glad that we have been fortunate enough to pick some really fun ones. The first Trixie books were released in the late 40s and although some of the language is dated, we love reading them...cliff hanging chapters don't hurt a bit!

No comments: